May 13, 2015
Azure is all about scale and Evan has pulled some interesting numbers and statistics about Azure that we discuss on this show.
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode77.mp3
- As of March 26, 2015, there are 4.9M organizations are using Azure AD
- There are more than 430M identities in Azure Active Directory:
- The majority of the 4.9M are smaller businesses and have < 500 employees.
- A subset of the 4.9M organizations are medium/large and have 500 or more employees. Because these organizations are comparatively large, they account for 93% of identities in Azure AD.
- 55% of them are using Azure AD Sync (or its predecessor DirSync) to provision identities in Azure AD.
- 2% of them are using a 3rd party cloud identity service (i.e. Centrify, Okta, OneLogin, etc.) for provisioning.
- Another 2% use a wide variety of home grown and custom provisioning tools.
- The remainder are using one of our portals (Azure or Office365) and PowerShell scripts for provisioning.
- There are over 1B authentications per day to Azure AD
- 56% are cloud only authentications and completed directly by Azure AD
- 32% are authentications completed by an ADFS server deployed at a customer site
- 7% are authentications completed using a password that was synced from on-premises using our Password Sync feature
- Just over 1% are authentications completed by syndication partners (i.e. large companies who resell Microsoft services)
- Just under 1% are authentications completed by a 3rd third party federation server (i.e. CA Site Minder, Ping, etc.)
- Just under 1% are authentications completed by a 3rd party identity service (i.e. a company like Centrify, Okta, OneLogin, etc.)
- The remaining 1% are completed with a variety of open source and custom solutions.
- 57% of Fortune 500 companies now use Azure
- Over 300,000 active websites
- More than 30 trillion storage objects
- 3 million requests per second
- 13 billion authentications per week
- Over a million SQL databases in Azure
- 300 million Azure Active Directory users
- 1.65 million developers registered with Visual Studio Online