May 21, 2015
Cale and Sujit talk to Stuart Ozer, a Partner Group Program Manager with the Azure DB group about the new preview of the Azure SQL DB Elastic Tools which allows developers to build SaaS scenarios easily.
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode78.mp3
May 13, 2015
Azure is all about scale and Evan has pulled some interesting numbers and statistics about Azure that we discuss on this show.
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode77.mp3
- As of March 26, 2015, there are 4.9M organizations are using Azure AD
- There are more than 430M identities in Azure Active Directory:
- The majority of the 4.9M are smaller businesses and have < 500 employees.
- A subset of the 4.9M organizations are medium/large and have 500 or more employees. Because these organizations are comparatively large, they account for 93% of identities in Azure AD.
- 55% of them are using Azure AD Sync (or its predecessor DirSync) to provision identities in Azure AD.
- 2% of them are using a 3rd party cloud identity service (i.e. Centrify, Okta, OneLogin, etc.) for provisioning.
- Another 2% use a wide variety of home grown and custom provisioning tools.
- The remainder are using one of our portals (Azure or Office365) and PowerShell scripts for provisioning.
- There are over 1B authentications per day to Azure AD
- 56% are cloud only authentications and completed directly by Azure AD
- 32% are authentications completed by an ADFS server deployed at a customer site
- 7% are authentications completed using a password that was synced from on-premises using our Password Sync feature
- Just over 1% are authentications completed by syndication partners (i.e. large companies who resell Microsoft services)
- Just under 1% are authentications completed by a 3rd third party federation server (i.e. CA Site Minder, Ping, etc.)
- Just under 1% are authentications completed by a 3rd party identity service (i.e. a company like Centrify, Okta, OneLogin, etc.)
- The remaining 1% are completed with a variety of open source and custom solutions.
- 57% of Fortune 500 companies now use Azure
- Over 300,000 active websites
- More than 30 trillion storage objects
- 3 million requests per second
- 13 billion authentications per week
- Over a million SQL databases in Azure
- 300 million Azure Active Directory users
- 1.65 million developers registered with Visual Studio Online
April 30, 2015
Evan, Cale and Sujit talk to Senior Azure PM Josh Twist on these new style of cloud services called Logic Apps. We discuss the evolution of this service and some typical scenarios.
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode75.mp3
Catch up on some new Azure announcements from BUILD:
April 22, 2015
Cale gives us the low-down on the Data Factory service.
Service details: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/data-factory/
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode74.mp3
Great guidance on Cloud Application Design and Implementation from the Patterns and Practices team at Microsoft. https://github.com/mspnp/azure-guidance
Upcoming Azure Bootcamp sessions: http://global.azurebootcamp.net/
April 15, 2015
We talk to Hugh Valentine of Cloud Point, an Azure hybrid, hosting and migration specialist firm in the UK. He shares some thoughts and observations on cloud adoption and migration strategies.
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode73.mp3
April 1, 2015
Evan and Sujit talk to Adam Abdelhamed who is a PM for the new Azure Portal. He gives us the scoop on the design of the new Portal and future plans.
Media File: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode71.mp3
Provide feedback on the new portal: http://feedback.azure.com/forums/223579-azure-preview-portal
Great resource for diagnosing and fixing a number of VNET and hybrid issues:
March 26, 2015
Cale and Sujit chat with Mark Grimes, a long-time MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer) and MCS consultant on the new certification exams for Azure. Who are they meant for, how to prepare and what are the advantages of these certifications? We get answers from the pros. Cale is also involved with teaching courses for these exams so he weighs in as well.
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode70.mp3
Mark has put together a consolidated set of links for more information on the 70-533 exam:
A blog post by PM Lichun Li describing causes of common VM/web/worker instance allocation failures and suggesting possible remediation steps.
March 18, 2015
The guys talk about a number of topics including:
Row Hammer bug http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2015/03/exploiting-dram-rowhammer-bug-to-gain.html
Azure IoT Suite http://blogs.microsoft.com/iot/2015/03/16/microsoft-announces-azure-iot-suite/
Lack of PaaS in Azure Pack
Max connections in VMs
Favorite Azure Feature
Something in Azure that drives you crazy
Media file: http://azpodcast.blob.core.windows.net/episodes/Episode69.mp3
ECC - Error-correcting code
Azure RemoteApp PowerShell cmdlets are publically available